Monday, November 10, 2014

My Philosophy

The last few posts have been about the Suzuki Method and philosophy and vision of Dr. Suzuki. But I'd also like to share with you my own philosophy. 

I am Suzuki cello teacher but, in addition to following the Suzuki method and upholding the philosophy, I strive to be a master teacher for my students. My vision of a master teacher is not only a thoughtful teacher of the instrument and the required skills needed to play it, but more importantly, a master teacher also teaches the skills necessary for lifetime of learning. I seek to be the teacher that guides and nurtures students to be independent, successful and caring human beings while simultaneously teaching the cello. 

As a Suzuki teacher,  I whole-heartedly follow the Suzuki philosophy. Those philosophical statements include:
  • Every child can learn: “Musical ability is not an inborn talent but an ability which can be developed” (Suzuki). My studio is open to students of all abilities. I teach the child, not the cello. 
  • Develop character first, then ability: “Teaching music is not my main purpose, I want to make good citizens” (Suzuki). My focus is not on making great musicians, just great people.
  • Nurturing other individuals and providing a positive and safe learning environment: “Where love is deep, much will be accomplished” (Suzuki).  

Fostering and guiding my students toward independence is crucial not only for developing functional musicians but also develops healthy autonomy and self-determination that will serve them well throughout their entire lives, both within and outside musical experiences. I strive to be a nurturing, knowledgeable and insightful teacher. I have a tremendous love of and respect for students young and old, and highly value their education and development. Margaret Rowell, a prominent cello pedagogue and developed many of the first cello activities and songs, was known for saying “I don’t teach the cello because the cello can’t learn! I teach the human being.” She taught not just cello technique but encouraged her students to be vibrant, interesting and engaged people. I hope to make a positive contribution not only to my students and the music community but I also hope to create through my teaching engaged, artistic, caring, questioning and inquisitive people who are lifelong lovers and participants in the arts.

When asked what “to educate” means, many people reply it is a synonym for teach. However, the Latin origin for “educate” is educere, meaning to lead forward. Therefore, “to educate,” in a larger perspective, means to guide a student toward the right course. An educatio is one who rears or nurtures, who guides students in the correct direction with the skill, insight, dexterity and independence needed for their endeavors in life. In my teaching, my overarching, all-encompassing goal is for my students to become independent and critically thinking adults. This outcome is achieved by fostering my students to ultimately make their own musical decisions about piece selection, phrasing, bowings, fingerings, etc., develop effective practice skills and discriminate their playing and make adjustments accordingly. 

I have specific learning goals for my students that are both musical in nature and non-musical that help attain student independence. Every student, regardless of ability, is held to the same musical goals and as a result of my teaching, my students will play with a consistently clear, rich and beautiful tone, secure intonation, a solid technical foundation, sense of rhythm and pulse, agile and organized left hand, fluency and mastery of a variety of bow strokes and demonstrate competency and functionality in a variety of different musical settings and contexts. All of these skills help develop a functional musician. In addition to the many musical goals, I also consider and structure learning sequences that address non-musical goals for my students, including character development, independence, responsibility, discipline, perseverance, diligence, time-management and problem-solving skills. 

To achieve these musical goals and outcomes, I have developed a very specific approach to teaching and learning the cello. My approach is first and foremost very structured and organized. I have a clear goal in mind for each individual student as well as specific goals and outcomes for individual pieces. Although I predominantly use the Suzuki repertoire as my core curriculum, I supplement my students’ learning with other repertoire within their technical capabilities that allows students to be successful, confident, and comfortable performers. 

While I encourage my students to be lifelong learners, I also hold myself to the same standard. I regularly attend professional conferences, workshops or teacher training programs. I especially enjoy being part of a teaching community with a a culture of collaboration and common goals in a teaching setting that fosters the potential of every child Some of my most enjoyable group class experiences have been in collaboration with another teacher of a different instrument, from designing effective lesson plans and logical sequences to leading students through class activities. 

I strive to be a nurturing, knowledgeable and insightful teacher. I have a tremendous love of and respect for students young and old, and highly value their education and development. I hope to make a positive contribution not only to my students and the music community but I also hope to create engaged, artistic, caring, questioning and inquisitive people who are lifelong lovers and participants in the arts through my teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment